[Samba] DFS question

ERIC PEYREMORTE eric.peyremorte at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Wed Jan 27 10:39:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

I would like to use DFS (without replication) to make life easier to users, and making server migration easier (just need to change the targets).

I have two Windows 2019 DC.

I will have one Samba 4.9.5 fileserver as a domain member.

I will use a DFS name space \\ad.mydomain.com\DFSShare configured on Windows DC side, where the links to DFS shares will be.

Reading the samba wiki, it is said that on the member side i need the VFS object dfs_samba4.

Two questions :
- Do i need it if the samba server is just a target and doesn't hold the name space ?
- Can't find information on this vfs object : what is it doing exactly ?

[ https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distributed_File_System_(DFS) | https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distributed_File_System_(DFS) ]

Configure Member server DFS in Samba

Similar to above but required one additional setting in smb.conf the global option so it would be
host msdfs = yes
 vfs object = dfs_samba4

Cheers
Eric