[Samba] DFS question

Aurélien Aptel aaptel at suse.com
Wed Jan 27 14:29:19 UTC 2021

ERIC PEYREMORTE via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
> Two questions :
> - Do i need it if the samba server is just a target and doesn't hold the name space ?

If the samba server is just a target and doesn't store links you don't
need to setup anything special for it.

> - Can't find information on this vfs object : what is it doing exactly ?

I believe that VFS module is make Samba reply to domain DFS queries
e.g.

If client requests //dom/root/link it will do:

1. connect to the domain dom, query //dom/root => //dfs.dom/root (domain DFS query)
2. connect to the namespace dfs.dom, query //dom/root/link => //data.dom/share/ (standalone DFS query)
3. connect to data share //data.dom/share, the final location

Cheers,
--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3