[Samba] Q: Upgrading samba from 4.9 to 4.13

Marco Shmerykowsky marco at sce-engineers.com
Wed Jan 20 14:19:48 UTC 2021

On 10/23/2020 3:57 AM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Personaly, i would do this as followed.
>
> First i fully check my server, all logs, if i see any warning/error
> I check it, fix it if needed and clear log, reboot, check logs/fix again
>
> If AD-DC,
> Then i check the samba database: samba-tool dbcheck (--cross-nc)
> Fix if needed and :  samba-tool dbcheck --reindex
> Then upgrade and i would go from 4.9 to 4.10, check logs, reboot.
> Check logs, clear logs, reindex, next upgrade.
> If needed adjust smb.conf
> Repeat.
>
> If member, 4.9 to 4.12 or 4.13, fine, just upgrade.
>
> *note, if debian/ubuntu, use : apt(-get) dist-upgrade --autoremove --purge
>
> This is an important one, in above steps, the older tdb/ldb files might be
> left on the server, which will stop samba from working.
> Why --autoremove ; tdb 1.x will be replace by tdb 2.x and
> this will remove the old version from your server at install.
> --purge, it removes the leftovers/old configs.
>
> In both cases (ad-dc or member), you MUST make sure you config is valid for the samba
> version your going to use.
> And i try to follow these rules.
>
> any xx.yy.0 version  should only be a test server in the production network.
> any xx.yy.1 version  should only be an authentication only server in the production network.
> any xx.yy.2 version  should only be the first fileserver server in the production network.
> any xx.yy.3-4 version  should only be the first AD-DC server in the production network.
> This above is a safe path to follow, i using that for years now.
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

This may be a silly question, but going from 4.10
to 4.11 would also involve going from Stretch to
Buster.

The upgrade guidance I read for Debian suggests
the following last two steps:

apt-get full-upgrade
apt-get --purge autoremove

 From what I read, this is effectively the same as
the command 'apt-get dist-upgrade --autoremove --purge'
which you listed below.

So.... When upgrading Debian and jumping to 4.11,
I can use either set of commands?