[Samba] Samba domain member compatibility Windows 2019 AD?

Remy Zandwijk remy+samba at luckyhands.nl
Mon Jan 18 11:00:14 UTC 2021

I sent the message below last week, but I didn't get an answer yet. Samba Team, could one of you please answer my question?

Thanks,
Remy Zandwijk

---

Hi list,

I am running Samba 4.10.15 on FreeBSD 12.1 as member server of a Windows 2012R2 AD domain. The AD is managed by an other group in our IT department and they informed me that they are going to upgrade to Windows 2019 AD the end of February.

Is Samba (in the domain member role) compatible with Windows 2019 AD and Domain/Forest Functional Level 2019? Can someone confirm this is the case? What would be the minimum Samba version which supports it?

I could not find this information on the Samba Wiki or other places, except for someone saying 'it should work'. Obviously, I want to know and make sure it does work.

Thanks,
Remy Zandwijk

P.S. Yes, I am aware that Samba 4.10.x is not supported anymore, plans for upgrading are in the making, but the sudden AD upgrade took me by surprise.