[Samba] Any drawback in changing primary group of domain users ?

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:39:05 UTC 2021

The reason I want to perform this is because
if a user makes a directory It gets by default group
"Domain users".

I guess this is creating issues because the permission
given to a directory by the fact that a user is in the "Domain users"
group may conflict with what i defined plain "Domain users" can
do in that area of the filesystem.

What "Domain users" can make in my domain is quite
limited. There are very specific group and i would prefer
to control all access privileges explicitly through 'setfacl'
instead of having group permission lurking in because
a user makes a directory somewhere.

So, the main/only reason for me to define/create a specific
primary group for each domain user is to ensure its group
permission do not conflict with what I define via 'setfacl'.

I am considering also setting
---- NAS : /etc/smb.conf ---------------------
force group = adm
That would be faster to do and easier to maintain than
defining a lot of groups.

I found it to be quite easy to make the group from Windows
and set the 'Primary group' from Windows as well. I did not
find a nice procedure for Linux, but ok, this is not fundamental
for the moment.

The 'Primary group' i am talking about is the one that you can
see in the Windows 'Active directory Users and Coputer'
-> Select a User -> Select 'Memeber of' .

I can't be more precise than this, my understanding of the
permission interplay between Linux/Windows/ACL is still
not that much deep.

bye
Nicola