[Samba] Any drawback in changing primary group of domain users ?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Feb 25 09:33:11 UTC 2021

How i handle this.

As long you use SET/GETfacl you can just add group to controll the access in folder.

How people handle this is mainly how your network/setup is done,
so this can differ with other setups, but this is how im setup.

All my users have Primary group "Domain Users", just like how windows handles this.

But then people think, ok, but all my files/folders now can be accessed by all users, yes, but only where you allowed them in with a other security group.

user1, in group Domain users and SecurityGroup1.
user2, in group Domain users and SecurityGroup2.

/srv/data/security-folder1 has groups,
"domain admins Full" and SecurityGroup1 with right everthing execpt full controle, because, with full control members of SecurityGroup1 could change rights, and personaly im not allowing that.

/srv/data/security-folder2 has groups,
"domain admins Full" and SecurityGroup2 with right everthing execpt full controle, because, with full control members of SecurityGroup2 could change rights, and personaly im not allowing that.

user1 cant access SecurityGroup2, but if he could then all rights to are set to "domain users" as group. ( the Primary Group )

user2 cant access SecurityGroup1, but if he could then all rights to are set to "domain users" as group. ( the Primary Group )

Now this is done with "Creator Group", that makes that the groups is set to domain users.

so, very data/department folder has a group assigned to it. that has All rights but full control, and "Creator Group" make sure it gets the "users primary group" set on the files/folder INSIDE that " data/department folder"

I have in total, 4 groups set by default.
1) "Creator Group"
2) The matching security group for that folder, used to allow or block access to the folder.
3) Domain admins and a new group "Folder managers" so selected users
   Can create and change rights if needed.

Thats it, i hope its bit clearer now.

Greetz,

Louis