[Samba] Best upgrade path, upgrade in-place or add new DCs and demote old?

Max Olivas molivas at northglenn.org
Wed Feb 24 19:02:27 UTC 2021

I went ahead with Rowlands suggestion but am having some issues.  I
added a Debian 10.8 DC using Louis's repo.  I joined NEW-DC1 to my AD
that had OLD-DC1 (FSMO roles) and OLD-DC2.  Replication was working
between the 3 DCs and the next day I moved the FSMO roles to NEW-DC1.  I
then added another new Debian DC (NEW-DC2) to the domain.  Replication
isn't working between the new DCs, they both replicate with OLD-DC1 and
OLD-DC2 but not with each other.   The other thing I've found is that on
the new DCs the /var/log/samba/log.samba logfile doesn't have any
authentication events logged, everything is still going to OLD-DC1 and
OLD-DC2.  I didn't get errors when doing any of the above.  What did I
do wrong?

Thanks!

On 12/02/2021 19:04, Stefan Kania via samba wrote:
> I would go the number two way :-). You will have all new systems, no
old
> packages left. And , I think you still using the internal DNS, I
would
> switch to bind9 as DNS-Server.

Actually I would go with a mixture of 2, 3 and 4 ��

Use Debian on new DC's and use Louis's repo: https://apt.van-belle.nl/

Rowland