[Samba] Smb daemon on Arch Linux dies after running for about 7-10 days - `SAMBA_4.13.4' not found

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 24 15:05:05 UTC 2021

On 24/02/2021 14:39, Kevin Hilton via samba wrote:
> I wasn’t aware of the NetBios problem, however this server is only accessible on the LAN.
>
> In terms of the various packages, samba installed via pacman via the official Arch Linux repositories (https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/samba/ <https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/samba/>)
>
> Looking at the packages included in the distribution there seems to be a number of vfs-modules.
>
> In terms of the ddb-modules, the only references to dsdb are:
>
> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/samba/dsdb.cpython-39-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/samba/dsdb_dns.cpython-39-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/samba/tests/audit_log_dsdb.py
> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/samba/tests/dsdb.py
> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/samba/tests/dsdb_lock.py
> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/samba/tests/dsdb_schema_attributes.py
> usr/lib/samba/ldb/dsdb_notification.so
> usr/lib/samba/ldb/samba_dsdb.so
>
> I’m assuming the installation has to work in some fashion since the daemon will accept connections for many days prior to failing, which I’m not sure why this happens.

The problem is that 10 days could be a kerberos problem, except you are
not using kerberos. Also, as far as I am aware, you only need python to
build Samba and for samba-tool and you cannot use the latter with a
standalone server.

After a bit of investigation, it looks like 'libsamba-debug-samba4.so'
is in the smbclient package on archlinux.

Rowland