[Samba] Ubuntu Samba Upgrade Problem

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Feb 7 20:52:19 UTC 2021

On 07/02/2021 19:40, Robert Steinmetz via samba wrote:
> On 2/6/21 5:05 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> client min protocol = SMB2_02
>> server min protocol = SMB2_02
>>
>> Previously they were:
>>
>> client min protocol = CORE
>> server min protocol = LANMAN1
>>
>> Try setting them both to NT1
>>
>> Once you have your NT4-style domain working again, I suggest you
>> start planning to upgrade it to a Samba AD domain, the NT4-style
>> domains are going away, possibly even as early as Samba 4.15.0
>>
>> Rowland
>>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I already figured that out and have added these lines to smb.conf:
>
> client min protocol = NT1
> server min protocol = NT1
>
> Everything now seems to be working again. I thought I posted a
> followup but that seems to have gone missing.
>
> My original smb.conf didn't include any protocol statements. Even
> after I added them testparm didn't print them out. I expected to see
> that in the output.
>
> What still I don't understand is why the two versions weren't able to
> negotiate a protocol between themselves.
>
> Reading the release notes it seems that 4.7.6 includes SMB2 and that
> SMB2 was added as far back as 3.6.
>
> I did understand the default was changed to SMB2 in 4.11

NT4-style domains only work on SMBv1 and the protocols that allow SMBv1
were turned off at 4.11.0, the defaults were raised to SMBv1 (hence why
you couldn't see them in smb.conf).

The main parameters that allow SMBv1 were deprecated in 4.13.0 and
extensive work is ongoing to remove SMBv1, this may come to fruition as
early as 4.15.0. Bearing this in mind, can I urge you to upgrade, better
now than being forced to.

Rowland