[Samba] Ubuntu Samba Upgrade Problem

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Sun Feb 7 19:40:58 UTC 2021

On 2/6/21 5:05 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> client min protocol = SMB2_02
> server min protocol = SMB2_02
>
> Previously they were:
>
> client min protocol = CORE
> server min protocol = LANMAN1
>
> Try setting them both to NT1
>
> Once you have your NT4-style domain working again, I suggest you start
> planning to upgrade it to a Samba AD domain, the NT4-style domains are
> going away, possibly even as early as Samba 4.15.0
>
> Rowland

Thanks for the reply.

I already figured that out and have added these lines to smb.conf:

client min protocol = NT1
server min protocol = NT1

Everything now seems to be working again. I thought I posted a followup
but that seems to have gone missing.

My original smb.conf didn't include any protocol statements. Even after
I added them testparm didn't print them out. I expected to see that in
the output.

What still I don't understand is why the two versions weren't able to
negotiate a protocol between themselves.

Reading the release notes it seems that 4.7.6 includes SMB2 and that
SMB2 was added as far back as 3.6.

I did understand the default was changed to SMB2 in 4.11

--

Robert Steinmetz, AIA
Principal

New Orleans & Atlanta