[Samba] moving DC to new hardware

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Feb 3 13:17:33 UTC 2021

Am 03.02.21 um 12:56 schrieb Sven Schwedas via samba:

> Look into free virtualization solutions (libvirt or something similar),
> and run DCs (or, if possible, everything) as VMs so you can just copy VM
> images around. Having to recreate just the VM host when hardware needs
> replacement reduces headaches and time needed. Plus, you need less
> hardware.

Sure, I know. I use QEMU/KVM in lots of places and know the pros/cons of
virtualization.

In this case I prefer the extra hardware because that host will also run
some backup and snapshot jobs ... where I *want* separate disks in a
separate server in a separate room.

I once considered running a DC in a docker container ...

>> I tend to clone the disks and move over ... in a maintenance window.
>
> That should work, assuming the old Debian's kernel can deal with the new
> hardware.

The "old" Debian is Debian Buster with its stable kernel. I don't expect
much surprise there.

> (Which is another advantage of virtualization, that's all hidden from
> the VMs and can't cause problems.)

agreed