[Samba] moving DC to new hardware

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Wed Feb 3 11:56:22 UTC 2021

On 03.02.21 10:58, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Am 03.02.21 um 10:46 schrieb Joachim Lindenberg via samba:
>> Hello Stefan, Ultimately the question is, what safety belt you want
>> in case your copy operation fails for whatever reason. Once you fired
>> up DC_new, you should not fire up DC_old again, and if DC_new doesn´t
>> work properly, then essentially DC_old and DC_new are dead at least
>> for some time in which there is no resilience anymore. Therefore
>> joining a third DC as Andrew suggests is definitely the better
>> approach. I´d definitely recommend virtualization to ease your future
>> life...
>
> I agree and understand.
>
> Small company (~20 ppl) there so their budget is limited. That plays
> into searching for the easiest and shortest path now (also in terms of
> money ...).

Look into free virtualization solutions (libvirt or something similar),
and run DCs (or, if possible, everything) as VMs so you can just copy VM
images around. Having to recreate just the VM host when hardware needs
replacement reduces headaches and time needed. Plus, you need less
hardware.

> I tend to clone the disks and move over ... in a maintenance window.

That should work, assuming the old Debian's kernel can deal with the new
hardware.

(Which is another advantage of virtualization, that's all hidden from
the VMs and can't cause problems.)

Sven Schwedas, Tech Lead
✉ sven.schwedas at tao.at | ☎ +43 680 301 7167
TAO Digital   | Teil der TAO Beratungs- & Management GmbH
Lendplatz 45  | FN 213999f/Klagenfurt, FB-Gericht Villach
A8020 Graz    | https://www.tao-digital.at