[Samba] Planning ahead

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 2 16:43:48 UTC 2021

On 02/02/2021 16:33, Anders Östling wrote:
> Not as a server, no. I have a Deb desktop and really like that one.
> What attracts me on RH-based system is the cockpit web admin.

Are you aware that cockpit works on Debian (well Devuan in my case) ?

> I am aware of webmin, used that many years ago (20?) but was never
> really friend with the configuration. Maybe that has changed today...

No, not at all, Webmin still thinks Samba 3.6.x is valid, it knows
nothing about 'idmap config', do not even think of using it with a Samba
AD computer.

> What is your opinion on web based admin of Samba servers?

It is a bit limited, there is cockpit with the new Samba DC module and
the Yast modules on Suse, after that there are ldap browsers like LAM.

Rowland