[Samba] The directory name is invalid

Stephen Atkins satkins at mdwainwright.ca
Tue Feb 2 20:07:45 UTC 2021

Hello everyone.  I've run in to an intermittent issue.  I've had it
happen to me and a few of my users.  I've got a shared folder that
everyone has access to.  Sometime when you try and open a file it will
give you and error of "The directory name is invalid."  If I make a copy
of the file by dragging it on the same folder I can then open the copy.
  Delete the original and rename the copy and it works fine.

Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
    workgroup = MD
    security = ADS
    realm = MD.MDWAINWRIGHT.CA
    server role = member server
    server string = Files server for md.mdwainwright.ca Samba %v

    winbind refresh tickets = Yes
    vfs objects = acl_xattr
    map acl inherit = Yes
    store dos attributes = Yes

    # Allow a single, unified keytab to store obtained Kerberos tickets
    kerberos method = secrets and keytab

    # Do not require that login usernames include the default domain
    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind scan trusted domains = no

    load printers = no
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /dev/null
    disable spoolss = yes

    # UID/GID mapping for local users
    idmap config * : backend = tdb
    idmap config * : range = 3000-7999

    # UID/GID mapping for domain users
    idmap config MD:backend = ad
    idmap config MD:schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config MD:range = 10000-999999
    idmap config MD:unix_primary_group = yes
    idmap config MD:unix_nss_info = yes

    # Template settings for users without ''unixHomeDir'' and
''loginShell'' att>
    template shell = /bin/bash
    template homedir = /mnt/Disk2/Users/%U

    # Allow offline/cached credentials and ticket refresh
    winbind offline logon = yes
    winbind refresh tickets = yes

    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 2755
    force create mode = 0644
    force directory mode = 2755

    username map = /etc/samba/user.map

[Shared]
    comment = User shared files
    path = /UserData/Shared
    vfs objects = shadow_copy2 acl_xattr
    shadow:basedir=/Userdata/Shared
    shadow:format = @GMT_%Y.%m.%d-%H.%M.%S
    shadow:sort = desc
    shadow:snapdir = /UserData/.Sharedsnapshots
    shadow:localtime=yes
    public = yes
    read only = no
    printable = no

--
Stephen Atkins
Computer/Information Analyst

This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity
named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient name above or a
person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the
intended recipients, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution
or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in
it is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or
delete this communication.  Thank you for your attention and co-operation.