[Samba] occasional interSiteTopologyGenerator differences between DCs

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Dec 7 13:16:04 UTC 2021

Hai Mourik-Jan,

You changed FSMO roles?

The english explanation i saw..

The intersite topology generator is an Active Directory process
that defines the replication between sites on a network.

A single domain controller in each site is automatically designated
to be the intersite topology generator. Because this action is performed
by the intersite topology generator, you are not required to take any
action to determine the replication topology and bridgehead server roles.

The domain controller that holds the intersite topology generator role performs two functions:

?? It automatically selects one or more domain controllers to
become bridgehead servers. This way, if a bridgehead server
becomes unavailable, it automatically selects another bridgehead server,
if possible.

?? It runs the KCC to determine the replication topology and resultant
connection objects that the bridgehead servers can use to communicate
with bridgehead servers of other sites.

Only why does it change server, i suspect the following but im not sure..
Lets say DC1 is the intersite topology generator, and your going to updated
your servers. At some point, DC1 is not reachable, so, automaticly it changes
to an other server.

That could explain it, but again, im not sure on this one..
Below some steps you can look into how things are set now.

i suggest, read everything first before change anything, since,
this should be done automaticly.

You can create a preferred bridgehead server,
perform the following steps:

1. Open Active Directory Sites and Services, expand Sites,
expand the site that contains the server that you want to configure,
expand Servers, and then in the console tree, right-click the
domain controller that you want to make a preferred bridgehead server,
and then click Properties.

2. Choose the inter-site transport or transports to designate the computer
 a preferred bridgehead server, click Add, and then click OK.

Procedure for forcing the KCC to run
To refresh replication topology, first determine whether you want to
refresh the replication topology between sites or the replication topology within a site.

?? To regenerate it between sites, run the KCC on the domain controller that
holds the intersite topology generator role.
?? To regenerate it within a site, run the KCC on any domain controller that
is not the intersite topology generator.

To determine the domain controller that holds the role of the intersite topology
generator in the site, perform the following steps:
1. In Active Directory Sites and Services, expand Sites, and then select the site.
2. In the details pane, right-click NTDS Site Settings, and then click Properties.

The site and server that holds the intersite topology generator role appears on
the properties page under Inter-Site Topology Generator.
To force the KCC to run, perform the following steps:

1. In Active Directory Sites and Services, in the console tree, expand Sites,
expand the site that contains the server on which you want to run the KCC,
expand Servers, and then select the server object for the domain controller
that you want to run the KCC on.

2. In the details pane, right-click NTDS Settings, click All Tasks, and then
click Check Replication Topology.

Procedure To force replication over a connection, perform the following steps:

1. In Active Directory Sites and Services, expand the domain controller for the
site that contains the connection that you use to replicate directory information.

2. In the console tree, click NTDS Settings.

3. In the details pane, right-click the connection that you use to replicate
directory information, and then click Replicate Now.

I hope above helps a bit.

Greetz,

Louis