[Samba] occasional interSiteTopologyGenerator differences between DCs

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Tue Dec 7 09:22:07 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am doing regular automated runs of samba-tool ldapcmp, to make sure
that all our DC's serve the same data. They run samba 4.13.14 on buster.

Since a couple of weeks, we are getting intermittant failures on the
interSiteTopologyGenerator. These differences appear and also disappear
'automatically' again. They usually stay for a couple of hours,
sometimes less.

They look like this:

> * Comparing [DOMAIN] context...
>
> * Objects to be compared: 2002
>
> * Result for [DOMAIN]: SUCCESS
>
> * Comparing [CONFIGURATION] context...
>
> * Objects to be compared: 1737
>
> Comparing:
> 'CN=NTDS SITE SETTINGS,CN=DEFAULT-FIRST-SITE-NAME,CN=SITES,CN=CONFIGURATION,DC=SAMBA,DC=COMPANY,DC=COM' [ldap://sambadc4.samba.domain.com]
> 'CN=NTDS SITE SETTINGS,CN=DEFAULT-FIRST-SITE-NAME,CN=SITES,CN=CONFIGURATION,DC=SAMBA,DC=COMPANY,DC=COM' [ldap://sambadc3.samba.domain.com]
>     Difference in attribute values:
>         interSiteTopologyGenerator =>
> [b'CN=NTDS Settings,CN=WINDC2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=samba,DC=company,DC=com']
> [b'CN=NTDS Settings,CN=SAMBADC3,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=samba,DC=company,DC=com']
>
>     FAILED
>
> * Result for [CONFIGURATION]: FAILURE
>
> SUMMARY
> ---------
>
> Attributes with different values:
>
>     interSiteTopologyGenerator
>
> * Comparing [SCHEMA] context...
>
> * Objects to be compared: 1739
>
> * Result for [SCHEMA]: SUCCESS
>
> * Comparing [DNSDOMAIN] context...
>
> * Objects to be compared: 305
>
> * Result for [DNSDOMAIN]: SUCCESS
>
> * Comparing [DNSFOREST] context...
>
> * Objects to be compared: 21
>
> * Result for [DNSFOREST]: SUCCESS

I'm not too woried, since everything works, and the situation always
proves to be only temporarily. We would not even have noticed this
occasional discrepancy, if we were not running the regular ldapcmp
though cron.

But can anyone explain why this is happening, and perhaps how we could
prevent this?

Best,
MJ