[Samba] samba-ad-dc.service: Got notification message from PID 27448, but reception only permitted for main PID 27410

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:50:26 UTC 2021

On 30 August 2021 13:09 L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Already on it.
>
> Quick (and dirty) fix is :
>
> sed -i 's/Type=notify/Type=Fork/g' /usr/lib/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service
> systemctl daemon-reload
> systemctl restart samba-ad-dc
>

> A "better" override fix.. I personaly use this, i try to "not" touch the original supplied files.
>
> systemctl edit samba-ad-dc.service
> [Unit]
> # Start bind9 always before samba-ad-dc starts (in case of bind9_dlz)
> After=network.target network-online.target bind9.service
>
> [Service]
> # Temp fix ad-dc : reception only permitted for main PID
> Type=Fork
>

> Save
> systemctl daemon-reload
> systemctl restart samba-ad-dc
>
> New versions soon.
> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Thanks Louis.    I took your approach.   Using the supplied samba-ad-dc.service file I created a file /etc/defaults/samba containing:
SAMBAOPTIONS="--no-process-group --daemon"

and using "systemctl edit samba-ad-dc", I  entered the following:
[Unit]
After=network.target remote-fs.target nss-lookup.target named.service
[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/samba $SAMBAOPTIONS

Note that in Bullseye, bind9 service is now the named service.    Also I had to use "forking" rather than "fork" and I had to have an empty ExecStart line otherwise it complains about multiple ExecStart lines.  I also had to remove the option "--foreground" from the ExecStart line otherwise the service will not start.

After all that the service starts OK without complaining!

Regards,
Roy