[Samba] Missing deprecations from CHANGELOG 4.14

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 3 14:07:51 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-08-03 at 15:16 +0200, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG via
samba wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
>
> Im still tracking down this bug and I've set up a brand new VM.
>
> Using the standard debian samba package (4.9.5) my script can
> successfully send files to a Mac OS SMB-Server without any smb.conf
> at all.
>
> After the upgrade to Louis' 4.13 (2:4.13.10+dfsg-0.1buster1) this
> script
> fails.

Any chance of seeing your script ?

> Ive changed my smb.conf to
>
> [global]
>      ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted
>      client min protocol = NT1
>
> and tried it again: It works again (as expected)!
>
> Upgrading to 4.14 (2:4.14.6+dfsg-0.1buster1) and my script fails
> again!
> Using `smbclient` instead of `libsmbclient` via the php-module works
> though...
>
> So something must've changed between 4.13.10 and 4.14.6 in
> libsmbclient ...

smbclient doesn't require the smb.conf and deprecated doesn't mean
'removed'. It takes quite some time before Samba removes deprecated
parameters, 'years' comes to mind.

> Additionally I tried to use PHPs 'smbclient_client_protocols()' to
> allow
> SMB1 connections. Turns out this function is not available. Looking
> at
> https://github.com/eduardok/libsmbclient-php/blob/b019c41a9ceb3695d97e0ef2fe1ad424097455b3/config.m4
> (line 75+) it seems like the libsmbclient is missing the
> 'smbc_setOptionProtocols', so the PHP Module doesnt publish the
> 'smbclient_client_protocols()' function.

That has been part of Samba since Sep 2018, could the libsmbclient that
libsmbclient-php uses require updating ?

> Im using Ondrej Sury PHP Repository for debian and opened a bug
> there:
> https://github.com/oerdnj/deb.sury.org/issues/1624
>
> Turns out neither the standard debian 4.9, nor Louis 4.13 nor Louis
> 4.14
> version of libsmbclient has this function compiled in. Im 90% sure,
> that
> this is a separate thing because 4.9 and 4.13 worked while lacking
> this
> function.

It should be compiled in, because it is part of Samba. I think what
wasn't updated was the libsmbclient manpage, it appears that there is
an option not listed in the manpage 'min_proto'. Have a look here:
https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=0dae4e2f5c65167fdb2405e232436921a0bb17e6

Rowland