[Samba] Missing deprecations from CHANGELOG 4.14

Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG matthias.kuehne at ellerhold.de
Tue Aug 3 13:16:25 UTC 2021

Hello Rowland,

Im still tracking down this bug and I've set up a brand new VM.

Using the standard debian samba package (4.9.5) my script can
successfully send files to a Mac OS SMB-Server without any smb.conf at all.

After the upgrade to Louis' 4.13 (2:4.13.10+dfsg-0.1buster1) this script
fails. Ive changed my smb.conf to

[global]
     ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted
     client min protocol = NT1

and tried it again: It works again (as expected)!

Upgrading to 4.14 (2:4.14.6+dfsg-0.1buster1) and my script fails again!
Using `smbclient` instead of `libsmbclient` via the php-module works
though...

So something must've changed between 4.13.10 and 4.14.6 in libsmbclient ...

Additionally I tried to use PHPs 'smbclient_client_protocols()' to allow
SMB1 connections. Turns out this function is not available. Looking at
https://github.com/eduardok/libsmbclient-php/blob/b019c41a9ceb3695d97e0ef2fe1ad424097455b3/config.m4
(line 75+) it seems like the libsmbclient is missing the
'smbc_setOptionProtocols', so the PHP Module doesnt publish the
'smbclient_client_protocols()' function.

Im using Ondrej Sury PHP Repository for debian and opened a bug there:
https://github.com/oerdnj/deb.sury.org/issues/1624

Turns out neither the standard debian 4.9, nor Louis 4.13 nor Louis 4.14
version of libsmbclient has this function compiled in. Im 90% sure, that
this is a separate thing because 4.9 and 4.13 worked while lacking this
function.

--
Matthias Kühne
Senior Webentwickler

Ellerhold Aktiengesellschaft
Friedrich-List-Str. 4
01445 Radebeul

Telefon: +49 (0) 351 83933-61
Telefax: +49 (0) 351 83933-99

Web     www.ellerhold.de
Twitter www.twitter.com/Ellerhold_AG
Youtube www.youtube.com/user/ellerholdgruppe

Amtsgericht Dresden / HRB 23769
Vorstand: Stephan Ellerhold, Maximilian Ellerhold
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Frank Ellerhold

---Diese E-Mail und Ihre Anlagen enthalten vertrauliche Mitteilungen. Sollten Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Adressat sein, so bitten wir Sie um Mitteilung und um sofortiges löschen dieser E-Mail und der Anlagen.

Unsere Hinweise zum Datenschutz finden Sie hier: http://www.ellerhold.de/datenschutz/

This e-mail and its attachments are privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us and immediately delete this e-mail and its attachments.

You can find our privacy policy here: http://www.ellerhold.de/datenschutz/