[Samba] Joining new AD controller to *old* Samba AD controller

Peter Smode psmode at kitsnet.us
Sun Apr 25 19:49:01 UTC 2021

Rowland,

Thank you for the advice on the failed to commit message. The is a big step
forward for me!

But it does bring me to my next issue on trying to execute a backup on my
new DC. I get a complaint about the RID pool not being initialized and I am
not sure about how best to proceed.

-+-+-+-+
[root at finch ~]#  samba-tool domain backup offline
--targetdir=/var/lib/samba-ad-dc_backup
The RID pool for this DC is not initalized (e.g. it may be a fairly new DC).
To initialize it, create a temporary user on this DC (you can delete it
later).
ERROR: Cannot create backup - please initialize this DC's RID pool first.
-+-+-+-+

I checked the FSMO roles and RidAllocationMasterRole is still with the
original DC (turtle). For what it is worth, I ran this search on my new DC:

-+-+-+-+
[root at finch ~]# ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb
'(objectClass=rIDSet)' dn
# record 1
dn: CN=RID Set,CN=FINCH,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=zoo,DC=lan,DC=kitsnet,DC=us

# record 2
dn: CN=RID Set,CN=TURTLE,OU=Domain
Controllers,DC=zoo,DC=lan,DC=kitsnet,DC=us

# Referral
ref:
ldap://zoo.lan.kitsnet.us/CN=Configuration,DC=zoo,DC=lan,DC=kitsnet,DC=us

# Referral
ref:
ldap://zoo.lan.kitsnet.us/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=zoo,DC=lan,DC=kitsnet,DC=us

# Referral
ref:
ldap://zoo.lan.kitsnet.us/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=zoo,DC=lan,DC=kitsnet,DC=us

# returned 5 records
# 2 entries
# 3 referrals
-+-+-+-+

Unfortunately, this is not possible on the existing DC since the ldbsearch
command is not available to me there.

I do not get what exactly I am supposed to do at this point since the
message that talks about creating a user on this DC (and only this DC?) is
not making sense to me.

Could you suggest the safest way to move forward? Is there a trivial
sequence I can execute to get this backup moving along without bifurcating
the AD database on the two DCs?

-- Peter