[Samba] Joining new AD controller to *old* Samba AD controller

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 26 06:52:03 UTC 2021

On 25/04/2021 20:49, Peter Smode via samba wrote:
> Rowland,
>
> Thank you for the advice on the failed to commit message. The is a big step
> forward for me!
>
> But it does bring me to my next issue on trying to execute a backup on my
> new DC. I get a complaint about the RID pool not being initialized and I am
> not sure about how best to proceed.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not possible on the existing DC since the ldbsearch
> command is not available to me there.
>

> I do not get what exactly I am supposed to do at this point since the
> message that talks about creating a user on this DC (and only this DC?) is
> not making sense to me.
>

> Could you suggest the safest way to move forward? Is there a trivial
> sequence I can execute to get this backup moving along without bifurcating
> the AD database on the two DCs?

Just do what the error message says, create a new user on the new DC.
Every DC has a different RID pool (it is one of the ways you can
identify on which DC an object was created), once the user is created on
that DC, it will be replicated to all others. Creating the user will
also initialise the DC's RID pool.

If you do not have ldbsearch on a particular DC, just install ldb-tools.

Rowland