[Samba] finger command with winbind / Linux

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Fri Apr 16 16:54:52 UTC 2021

Hi.

A question about using the "finger" command under Linux when using
winbind nss backend..

When users were in /etc/passwd, and I would do:

finger <first name of user> or

finger <last name of user>

I would get back all entries from /etc/passwd with that first name or
last name matching my spec.

With winbind in place, finger works, but only if I specify a full
username.  It doesn't find users based on their name field.

The truth is, I only set "displayname" to the full name, and that may be
the issue because if I do finger "jas", the "Name:" field from finger is
blank.

However, if I edit my user record under AD and set "gecos: Jason Keltz",
then finger "jas" now shows my full name under "Name:" field, but I
still can't search by "Jason" or "Keltz".

Any thoughts?

Jason.