[Samba] Temporary Failure in Name Resolution for local names

Peter Pollock peter.pollock at kingschristian.org
Thu Apr 15 20:25:50 UTC 2021

> Have you run these three commands:
>
> samba-tool ldapcmp

I had never seen this command before. Interestingly it succeeds in the
compare (surprising because normally it can't resolve the hostname) and
shows that DC11 is out of date, which is not surprising considering it
won't replicate.

> samba-tool drs showrepl

Shows constant failures

> samba-tool drs replicate

On DC11, if I replicate FROM DC11 to DC01, it works fine, but if I try to
go from DC01 TO DC11 it fails..

itadmin at dc11:~$ sudo samba-tool drs replicate dc01.internal.kcs
dc11.internal.kcs CN=configuration,DC=internal,DC=KCS
Replicate from dc11.internal.kcs to dc01.internal.kcs was successful.
itadmin at dc11:~$ sudo samba-tool drs replicate dc11.internal.kcs
dc01.internal.kcs CN=configuration,DC=internal,DC=KCS
ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): DsReplicaSync failed -
drsException: DsReplicaSync failed (2, 'WERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND')
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/drs.py", line 577, in
run
    drs_utils.sendDsReplicaSync(server_bind, server_bind_handle,
source_dsa_guid, NC, req_options)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line 92, in
sendDsReplicaSync
    raise drsException("DsReplicaSync failed %s" % estr)

> Add '--help' to the above to get further info on how to use them.
>
> There is always the other option of demoting the bad DC and joining it
> again, if all else fails.
>
> I might have to resort to demotion/promotion, but don't want to do this if
there is something else that's causing the issue.