[Samba] metod for change domain name

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 15 15:16:55 UTC 2021

On 15/04/2021 15:52, Marcos Ariel Negrini via samba wrote:
> Hello Rowland:
> the restore does not give error, the issue is which directory to point
> to in the restore, because it asks me for an empty directory,
> otherwise it throws error.... and as it is compiled I can not empty
> the /usr/local/samba, because there I have the binary of the restore
> command, so I tried erasing the /usr/local/samba/var and telling it to
> restore there, but the content that generates me is different from the
> original var, and does not match the original /usr/local/samba, so I
> deduced that it would be the contents of /var of an installation from
> repos...
>
> for example:
>

> original:
>
> /usr/local/samba:
>
> bin
> bind-dns
> etc
> include
> lib
> lib64
> private
> sbin
> share
> var
>
> /usr/local/samba/var:
>
> cache
> lib
> lock
> locks
> run
>
> restore in:
>
> /usr/local/samba/var:
>
> backup.txt
> bind-dns
> etc
> gencache.tdb
> msg.lock
> names.tdb
> private
> state
>
> that's why I said that I understand that moving file by file of the
> restore in the original installation could work .. but I wanted to
> know if it's okay to do so or is likely to break everything.

As I said, I have never tried this and the documentation is a bit
ambiguous, it says this:

The targetdir specifies the new location for all the samba files
(smb.conf, sam.ldb, etc)

The only problem with that is, smb.conf goes in one directory and
sam.ldb goes in another, yet only one directory is set with
'targetdir=<restore-dir>'

Andrew, If I remember correctly, the backup tools were written by
Catalyst, so can you explain just how to use the restore command ?

Rowland