[Samba] Dynamic DNS updates from Windows 10 workstations

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Apr 8 10:31:06 UTC 2021

You dont need to "rejoin", if you know which records are wrong with the rights. You can add the COMPUTERNAME$ to the dns record with full control on the A and PTR record.

The danger of a "re-join" is.. you forget keytab and KVNO is out sink then.
so, if you are going for a rejoin, few pointers.

- use samba-tool/net  to remove the computer from the domain.
- use ADUC to verify if its all gone in AD
- verify if DNS A and PTR is all gone.
- backup/rename /etc/krb5.keytab, then make sure its gone before you re-join.
- any SPN/UPN's used, dont forget to re-add these also.

things like that..

Good luck..!

Louis