[Samba] Dynamic DNS updates from Windows 10 workstations

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Thu Apr 8 20:13:31 UTC 2021

Hi there,

I do have a similar question on how windows clients update the A record
in samba 4 AD DC,
or how samba AD set A record in its internal DNS server for windows client.

My configuration is(no other issues so far):

a) 3 Samba 4.8.12 AD DC, works perfect together(using internal DNS), has
its own domain name, let's say DOMAIN1.ANY(not a public domain name)
b) 1 Centos 6.8 DHCP server(comes with the OS), gives windows clients
dynamic IP and company DNS server info(DNS IP),
    and sends dynamic IP updates to company DNS server, using another
internal domain name(DOMAIN2.ANY) to manage the pc name and its dynamic ip
c) 2 Centos 6.8 company DNS server(bind comes with the OS), forwarding
AD query to AD server)
d) 150 windows clients with DNS points to company DNS servers.

The problem is when I move a client machine to another subnet(IP
changed),  samba4 AD DC doen't reset the ip in its internal DNS server.
But I do see the ip or some ips get changed late, when? and how?
sometimes not changed? I don't know.

My  question is how samba 4 AD set the A record in its internal DNS
server for windows client?

Thanks,

Allen