[Samba] Extend schema with Exchange Attributes

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Wed Apr 7 17:41:33 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021, Max Olivas via samba wrote:

> I've ran the 'setup.exe /preparead' commands from both Exchange 2013/2016
> and they both fail with multiple errors.
>
> "No suitable domain controller can be found..."
> "this user account isn't a member of Enterprise Admins..."
> "The forest functional level of the current Active Directory forest is not
> Windows Server 2003 native or later.."
>
> I see the LDIF's in the setup files but after reading more about all of this
> I'm starting to think using Samba AD with M365 is probably a bad idea.
> Is anyone on here using Samba AD with M365?
>
> Thanks,
> Max
> Has anyone successfully extended Samba AD with the Exchange Attributes?  I'm
> not looking to run Exchange but we are moving to M365 and it seems to require
> the Exchange attributes to be present?  Anyone?

I am not sure what you need to do BUT, I have multiple windows AD domains
running AD Sync that I have never added exchange attributes. In most cases
you only need to have the email address and the proxy addresses set.

If you are migrating from an on prem exchange server to M365 you need
more attributes but since your domain does not have exchange extensions
in it that does not appear to be the case.

Having said the above I have never tried to get AD sync working with samba AD.
It would be interesting to get it working and several others have tried but
I do not know if they were successful.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org