[Samba] Can't connect after AuthN: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 24 20:41:31 UTC 2020

On 24/09/2020 20:06, Chris Olive wrote:
> No real "standalone" or domains explicitly specified in the smb.conf file.
>
> This is a host with containers on it, but at this level, this is the
> smb.conf file for the host itself. Ironically when I install SMB in a
> container and spin it up it works fine. At the machine level it does
> not. All these issues took place before I tried it in a container, so
> the log I originally sent was when Samba was installed at the host
> level and not in a container. Still beats the heck out of me. I've
> never had any issue with Samba.
>
> [global]
>         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d
> /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
>         cups options = raw
>         ## encrypt passwords = yes
>         load printers = yes
>         local master = no
>         log level = 3 passdb:5 auth:5
>         name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
>         netbios name = LXD1
>         os level = 65
>         passdb backend = tdbsam
>         ## passdb backend = smbpasswd
>         passwd chat = "*New Password:*" %n\n "*Reenter New Password:*"
> %n\n "*Password changed.*"
>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         printcap cache time = 750
>         printcap name = cups
>         printing = cups
>         server string = LXD Containers
>         unix password sync = yes
>         wins support = Yes
>         workgroup = LXD1
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         valid users = %S, %D%w%S
>         browseable = Yes
>         read only = No
>         inherit acls = Yes
>         create mask = 0755
>         directory mask = 0750

That is a smb.conf for a standalone server and the only thing wrong with
it is that the workgroup and netbios name are the the same and they must
be different. The netbios name must be the computers hostname in
uppercase, so if the hostname is 'lxd1', then you need to change the
workgroup name, if it isn't, just remove the 'netbios name' line and
Samba will set it for you.

I still do not know where 'domain users' is coming from, its very name
tells you it is only used in a domain.

Rowland