[Samba] cifsacl not working

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Thu Sep 24 03:51:25 UTC 2020

I installed a new Ubuntu 20.4 LTS system (smbd 4.11.6) . Initially I
tried using the SSSD and 'realm' to join the domain. Everything worked
similar to my Centos 7 install and I thought I was finished.

The one thing not working is  cifs shares showing the proper id mapping.
Based on some online posts, including from Rowland, I got rid of SSSD
and configured samba/winbind only. Lots of posts saying 'winbind is not
sssd'. Still doesn't work.

In both cases,
1) The mounted share
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.1/test /mnt/test
-odomain=TESTDOM,sec=ntlmssp,cifsacl,credentials=xzy

shows all files owned by root/root rather than the domain users.

2) If I run getcifsacl /mnt/test it shows the proper named windows ACL
as expected

3) /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cifs-utils/idmapwb.so is setup as the
/etc/cifs-utils/idmap-plugin

I've been messing with this for a long time and cannot figure out why
this does not work. On Centos 7 (smbd 4.10.4) this worked fine using sssd.

It is as if the 'ls -al /mnt/test' is not doing the mapping or using the
plugin. I've got no idea what to try next. Everything else works -
'getent passwd', wbinfo, etc.