[Samba] Linux client joined to domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Sep 6 12:03:50 UTC 2020

On 06/09/2020 12:50, Robert Wooden via samba wrote:
> I am studying how to join a (most likely) a Debian/Ubuntu based client to
> an existing domain as a workstation. (Have experimented with linux joins
> before so not too concerned with the join part. I can figure that out on my
> own.)
>
> There are two DC's, one member server, and multiple W10 workstations on the
> domain.
>
> My question is this, if the Debian/Ubuntu based client (workstation) like a
> second domain member server but without shares?
Wrong way around, a fileserver (what you are calling a domain member
server) is a Unix domain member that has shares. It really doesn't
matter what you call them, 'workstation', 'fileserver' or 'domain member
server' etc, they are all Unix domain members and the basic setup is the
same.

> And if so, setting up the smb.conf, do the "idmap uid = number range" and
> the "idmap gid = number range" need to be the same ranges as the existing
> member server (fileserver) on the domain or are these idmap ranges unique
> to the client member and has no relationship to the existing member server
> (fileserver)?
As long as you use exactly the same '[global]' section on all Unix
domain members, they will all work exactly alike.

> As the client is not "sharing" any files with other workstations do the
> idmap ranges matter to the functioning of the linux workstation?

Oh, very much so ;-)

Rowland