[Samba] help again with dns and samba 4 ad

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 15:31:05 UTC 2020

I shouldn't advise on this any more if Rowland says not to do it.

If you AD domain is ad.mydomain.com and you have a line:

server=/ad.mydomain.com/192.168.x.y (AD DC Server's IP)

and the samba AD then uses dnsmasq fo an upstream resolver, if you try
to resolve something.ad.mydomain.com, dnsmasq will hand over the lookup
to samba. If samba does no know about it, it can query the upstream
resolver. If that is dnsmasq, it will hand to lookup back to AD which
does not know it and so will hand it back to dnsmasq and it will go
round in circles until it times out.