[Samba] help again with dns and samba 4 ad

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 2 14:46:05 UTC 2020

On 02/09/2020 15:24, jmpatagonia wrote:

> Correct we have the dnsmasq server dns+dhcp on other ip server.
>
> So if I understand well, we will use the samba DC as a "authoritative
> nameserver" and the dnsmasq as a forwarder dns for resolve outside our
> zone ?

Just to ensure that you understand:

DC: dc.example.com DNSMASQ: dnsmasq.example.com == BAD

DC: dc.ad.example.com DNSMASQ: dnsmasq.example.com == GOOD

> And we set on the dnsmasq (when deliver ip to the client as a dhcp
> server) the primary dns is a samba DC server, and too we can set the
> dnsmasq a secondary dns server or is not necessary that (because the
> DC asking the dnsmasq) ?
>
> Scenario:
> dnsmasq as dhcp server: serve ip and tell to client the primary dns is
> samba DC, and tell to client the secondary dns is dnsmasq
>
> or
> dnsmasq as dhcp server: serve ip and tell to client the primary dns is
> samba DC, and samba DC is responsible to asking the dnsmasq for resolv
> sites outsite the zone and answer to client.

Provided dnsmasq can tell the domain clients to use the domain dns name,
then the second version is the way to go. All domain clients talk to the
DC and never contact dnsmasq as dns server.

Rowland