[Samba] Replication issues / local DRS authentication failure

Christopher Cox chriscox at endlessnow.com
Tue Oct 20 21:51:04 UTC 2020

On 10/20/20 3:25 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 20/10/2020 21:09, Derek Lambert wrote:
>> I really dislike Raspian, and there's not a 64bit release yet.
>>
>> Does the official Debian distro use Heimdal? Ubuntu?
>
> Cannot really speak for the rpi, I just use mine as a Unix domain member running
> raspbian, but it is basically only the distros based on red-hat distros that use
> MIT. If the Arm version of Ubuntu is like the X86-64 version (and I no reason to
> believe otherwise) it will use Heimdal. Not sure about the Suse Arm distro
> (which uses RPMs), but it may be worth considering.

openSUSE does have libheimdal and libheimdal-devel, but samba and default
kerberos... all MIT.

With that said, way back in 2016, Red Hat promised to get problems using MIT
kerberos resolved with regards to having a Samba DC.  In their words,
"...Andreas, Guenther and Alexander at Red Hat are working diligently every day
towards this. We're planning to get to that sooner rather than later." (again,
from 2016)

Others pointed out that Red Hat's "working diligently" meant work on sssd though.