[Samba] Floating IP breaks AD replication

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 23 16:43:28 UTC 2020

On 23/11/2020 16:18, Johannes Engel via samba wrote:
> Maybe this is a stupid idea, but what we are doing here is using just the
> domain name for all sorts of services, i.e. LDAP.
> So instead of pointing a client to dc1.somedom.contoso.com or
> dc2.somedom.contoso.com, we point them to somedom.contoso.com which is then
> resolved to both and the client can pick.

OK, you really should be only using the DC's for authentication and you
sound like you are also using them as fileservers etc. This isn't a good
idea, but sometimes you have to do this, just as long as you understand
the limitations. What you shouldn't do is use multiple DC's for the same
thing, as a mailserver for instance. You can have the mailserver objects
in AD and these will be available on all DC's, but you shouldn't use all
DC's as a mailserver.

I think it might be an idea if you could explain your setup in a bit
more detail. If you must use a cluster, then you need to use Unix domain
members to create the cluster and then join these to the domain.

Rowland