[Samba] Q: Samba 4.10 to 4.11

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Nov 5 08:23:06 UTC 2020

Yes correct.

I do this because of a few things.

I build what i use (mostly then).
I try to follow samba its upgrade path.  (3 version)
I try to follow debian its upgrade path. (stable + an upgrade path )
I try to follow ubuntu its upgrade path. (stable + an upgrade path )

Now, sure you can build 4.11 for stretch or lower.
But i just dont think its wise, like, i experiance some tranfser problems here.
After some research i found that, the OS its kernel was the problem.
You might think unreleated, but this was a problem with transfers over cifs.
(note, old kernel 2.6.x )

This worked great for for years ( on an old server ), only my remote party upgraded
there servers to W2019, i got it running again but, with an backported kernel.
At least, that gave best results + i had to build a samba 4.6 to make a stable set again
That works without hassle with latest W10 PC's.
Ps, this was/is a wheezy server,. Yes, i have oldies also here, due some old software.
I have even one older im working on, a lenny server.
Same old software and no upgrade path anymore.

The moral if this is, dont keep your servers in the past,
The longer you wait to upgrade, the harder it gets to upgrade them.
The server in quistion wont get and upgrade but a complete new build up.
Because its now impossible to garantee a save upgrade.

So, why the above upgrade path.
To "force" people to upgrade, and, this results in less problem.
And we try to stay more in the "supported" version, resulting in
less messages on the list also.

;-)

If you have questions, just ask, i always try to respond.

Greetz,

Louis