[Samba] Upgrading from old 4.1 sernet-samba AD to source release with AD

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 14:53:07 UTC 2020

Hi guys,

I have sernet-samba-client-4.1.21-11.el6.x86_64 with 5 DC's running in AD
mode and I need to look at upgrading them to the latest source version of
Samba with AD support. All servers are running Centos 6.x and the same
Samba release.

I see the Wiki mentions "Upgrade A DC and join it to the domain again"
however I'm not sure in terms of upgrading how this process will take place
considering I'm going from the old sernet package to the source compiled
version, what version should I be upgrading to from 4.1.x etc?

Do I rather somehow install new DC's running the latest release, and then
join them to the domain and then demote the old ones and then finally
decommission them?

Alternatively if I compile a similar 4.1.x source version onto the existing
VM's and then upgrade through all the source versions one by one from there
on all 5 of my VM's? EG: 4.1 to 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4... etc?

Any suggestions on this is hugely appreciated.

Thank you

Regards.

Neil Wilson.