[Samba] Upgrading from old 4.1 sernet-samba AD to source release with AD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 27 15:05:16 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-05-27 at 16:53 +0200, Neil via samba wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have sernet-samba-client-4.1.21-11.el6.x86_64 with 5 DC's running
> in AD
> mode and I need to look at upgrading them to the latest source
> version of
> Samba with AD support. All servers are running Centos 6.x and the
> same
> Samba release.
>
> I see the Wiki mentions "Upgrade A DC and join it to the domain
> again"
> however I'm not sure in terms of upgrading how this process will take
> place
> considering I'm going from the old sernet package to the source
> compiled
> version, what version should I be upgrading to from 4.1.x etc?
>
> Do I rather somehow install new DC's running the latest release, and
> then
> join them to the domain and then demote the old ones and then finally
> decommission them?
>
> Alternatively if I compile a similar 4.1.x source version onto the
> existing
> VM's and then upgrade through all the source versions one by one from
> there
> on all 5 of my VM's? EG: 4.1 to 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4... etc?
>
> Any suggestions on this is hugely appreciated.

I would install by package or source Samba 4.5 onto one of the hosts,
pointing at the same paths, then join a modern Samba version to that
domain from another host.  That much should work.

You won't get a modern Samba to directly join Samba 4.1 unless you are
very lucky with the ordering of your objects (see the other thread on
this).

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/