[Samba] Clients send tons of Notiftication requests

Luca Marceglia luca at pianetaluca.com
Mon May 11 15:11:07 UTC 2020

I think I could not make myself understood.
Since I could not connect with my samba share and the programs were looping
or crashing, I decided to activate the logs on the samba server and set it
to 3.
I then started to see all these notification requests.
So what I understand is that the clients are sending tons of these
notification requests to the server. This was not happening before.
I do not have specific client log because Windows10 apps do not store so
many logs and File.app on the iPhone may write logs somewhere but I don't
know how to get them.
Anyway I captured packets with Wireshark and got the logs from the samba
server and I see that the problem is triggered by this mechanism.
If I tell the samba server not to respond to these notifications, everything
works fine.

My question is why the clients started sending such requests? And how can I
stop them from doing so? It's not a Windows problem because Apple apps have
the same issue, so I believe this is a server issue...