[Samba] Win7 clients problem after upgrading samba file server to 4.12 on Arch

pavlos pavlos.audiofreak at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:21:58 UTC 2020

Hi Rowland,

User configuration:

[root at arch1 /]# pdbedit -L
nobody:65534:Nobody
root:0:
ala:1000:

[root at arch1 /]# cat /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0::/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1::/:/usr/bin/nologin
daemon:x:2:2::/:/usr/bin/nologin
mail:x:8:12::/var/spool/mail:/usr/bin/nologin
ftp:x:14:11::/srv/ftp:/usr/bin/nologin
http:x:33:33::/srv/http:/usr/bin/nologin
nobody:x:65534:65534:Nobody:/:/usr/bin/nologin
dbus:x:81:81:System Message Bus:/:/usr/bin/nologin
systemd-journal-remote:x:982:982:systemd Journal Remote:/:/usr/bin/nologin
systemd-network:x:981:981:systemd Network Management:/:/usr/bin/nologin
systemd-resolve:x:980:980:systemd Resolver:/:/usr/bin/nologin
systemd-timesync:x:979:979:systemd Time Synchronization:/:/usr/bin/nologin
systemd-coredump:x:978:978:systemd Core Dumper:/:/usr/bin/nologin
uuidd:x:68:68::/:/usr/bin/nologin
dhcpcd:x:977:977:dhcpcd privilege
separation:/var/lib/dhcpcd:/usr/bin/nologin
ntp:x:87:87:Network Time Protocol:/var/lib/ntp:/bin/false
avahi:x:976:976:Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon:/:/usr/bin/nologin
ala:x:1000:985::/home/ala:/bin/bash
git:x:975:975:git daemon user:/:/usr/bin/git-shell

[root at arch1 /]# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) grupy=0(root)

[ala at arch1 ~]$ id
uid=1000(ala) gid=985(users)
groups=985(users),3(sys),98(power),988(storage),998(wheel)

All clients are connecting either anonymously read-only which leverages the
'nobody' samba user, or using 'ala' user/pwd. Both have same problems.

No local 'ala' users on any client machine. In Windows login dialog I am
supplying username as '192.168.1.115\ala' and the defined password (....115
is the IP address of the test samba server).

I have also put 'log level = 10' to your smb.conf, but the hiccup on Win7
remains. As I said - the stupid message box in Windows pops up randomly.
This short exercise has produced about 100 KB of compressed logs. How might
I share them with you and all in the mailing list?

Thanks for your attention!
Regards, Pawel.

pon., 4 maj 2020 o 20:10 Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>