[Samba] Win7 clients problem after upgrading samba file server to 4.12 on Arch

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 4 18:09:42 UTC 2020

On 04/05/2020 18:28, pavlos via samba wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a simple home network - no domain controller, no DNS, just DHCP on
> my router.
> I have simple samba file server built on Arch Linux, with single share
> exposed and couple of client computers, some ot them running Win7 x32
> (embedded, not-upgradeable), some others with different Win or Linux
> systems. All of the client are connecting to the share using the same
> user/pwd, set up previously on my Arch server.
> The configuration was running without any issues for couple of years and
> through all upgrades (rolling distro) until the last samba upgrade from
> 4.11.3 to 4.12.3.
> Now I have problems with my Win7 clients, and only with those clients: the
> message box "*The process cannot access the file because it is being used
> by another process.*" popping unexpectedly in very random situations.
>
> I have also installed new, fresh and minimal Arch Linux in Virtualbox,
> added just the newest samba package, set up the simplest share with
> smb.conf as follows. The same problems with Win7 clients using the new
> share.
>
> ------------------------------------
> [global]
>   netbios name = ARCH1
>   workgroup = WORKGROUP
>   server string = TestSambaServer
>   server role = standalone
>   security = user
>   guest account = nobody
>   map to guest = bad user
>   log file = /var/log/samba/logconf.%m
>   max log size = 50
>
> [nas]
>    comment = some funny stuff
>    path = /nas
>    public = yes
>    writable = no
>    printable = no
>    create mask = 0777
>    directory mask = 0777
>    write list = @wheel
> ------------------------------------
>
> As you can see - anyone should be able to connect and read, only users
> belonging to the wheel group are able to login with R/W rights.
>
> I have also asked similar question to the marvelous Arch community, but
> got nothing but a few 'mee-too' posts...
>
> Can you, please, help me in fixing this?
>
>     - Is it a bug symptom?
Possibly
>     - Or, is it a new 'feature' which i missed when reading
>     release information? Maybe some defaults in smb.conf have changed and I
>     should adjust them properly?
Don't think so'
>     - Or, maybe I should adjust something in Win7 configuration?
>     - Or, maybe you have definitely abandoned any Win7 support and I should
>     be in a deep ...trouble now?

It could possibly have something to do with SMBv1, but I would have
expected it to be a problem with 4.11.x as well.

You are running Samba as a standalone server.

I take it you created a few users and made them members of the wheel
group, but did you make them Samba users with 'smbpasswd -a username' ?

All other users that connect, do not exist on the computer ?

If so, then I would expect it still to work.

Can you please add 'log level = 10' to your smb.conf and see if anything
pops out.

Rowland