[Samba] FREEBSD 12 - Samba410 - General question

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 24 15:02:06 UTC 2020

On 24/03/2020 14:22, Suporte - KONTROL via samba wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Good morning/afternoon/evening.
>

> Got a question regarding a FREEBSD 12 being used as a proxy (SQUID) with
> SAMBA410.
>
> Do I have to keep SMBD and NMBD services enabled with WINBIND to act as a an
> Active Directory "CLIENT ONLY" (for Squid proxy purposes) or, can I disable
> SMBD and NMBD and keep WINBIND only?
>
> I am asking because I made a test killing both processes and keeping Winbind
> only and everything still working fine. As the machine as already part of
> the Domain, I am not sure those services are required during the "joining"
> process.

You shouldn't have any of the Samba binaries running when joining the
domain.

'smbd' == fileserver binary

'nmbd' == network browsing binary

'winbindd' == authentication binary

You really only need 'nmbd' if you need network browsing (implies using
SMBv1)

If you are running Samba as a fileserver, you need 'smbd' & 'winbindd'

If you are just using Samba for authentication, then you only need
'winbindd'

Rowland