[Samba] Advices about migrate W2000 domain to SAMBA4

Ivan Lopez ilopez at enress.gov.ar
Tue Jun 30 15:44:50 UTC 2020

Hi, People:

We have a Old (well functioning) Windows 2000 AD domain. We wish migrate
DCs, if posible, to SAMBA4.  We actually have four sites with one DC in
three of them and three DCs in one of them. Just one DC is Windows 2008,
the rest is Windows 2000.

Join SAMBA4 as DC automatically is not posible, I think, because DNS
servers are not configured with 2008 behaviour and actual DNS entries
does not replicate to SAMBA. Therefore, I can't replace Windows DCs.

Is there any method/howto to achieve this with minimum disruption?. Or
the only way is upgrade DCs to Windows 2008 (paying new licenses) and
then join SAMBA4 DCs to domain, transfer roles an demote Windows DCs?

Thanks in advance!

Iván