[Samba] File server questions

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jun 7 19:57:00 UTC 2020

On 07/06/2020 20:15, mathias dufresne wrote:

> Sure, I claimed it worked, it was because it is working.
I never said it wouldn't work, I said it was a BAD idea.
> It seems only Kerberos is allowed: I tried using Windows and a local
> user to connect, no access to the server at all.
> When using AD user from WIndows, it works like a charm.
>
> I do speak about Windows clients as they reflect real entreprise life,
> which is what most of us work for.
I repeat, it only works with kerberos and whilst it may 'reflect real
enterprise life' where you come from, it is a stupid idea where I come from.

>     I cannot suggest that this method is used in production, there is too
>     much chance for error.
>

> These kinds of configurations are normally not new solutions (or
> there's something with the solution's designer :p), they are
> "historical" configurations. A short term to say
> too-expensive-to-change-right-now. Then we have to deal with.
No, they are not new solutions, that is one of the problems, a lot of
'historical' ways of using Samba were not very clever and your
'too-expensive-to-change-right-now' is likely to become
'ultra-too-expensive-to-change-right-now' when you do come to change it.
the first cost is usually the least cost.

>     I personally will not support using this method, Samba in the past
>     supported some bad ways of working, there is no need to continue
>     supporting bad ideas.
>

> No support was asked I believe. Or my English is worse than expected.
No, you didn't ask for support, but i just wanted to get it out there
that I will not support this abortion. You can do what you like with
Samba, just do not push your bad ideas here.

Rowland