[Samba] File server questions

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 07:22:32 UTC 2020

Le dim. 7 juin 2020 à 21:57, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
a écrit :

> On 07/06/2020 20:15, mathias dufresne wrote:
> >
> > Sure, I claimed it worked, it was because it is working.
> I never said it wouldn't work, I said it was a BAD idea.
> > It seems only Kerberos is allowed: I tried using Windows and a local
> > user to connect, no access to the server at all.
> > When using AD user from WIndows, it works like a charm.
> >
> > I do speak about Windows clients as they reflect real entreprise life,
> > which is what most of us work for.
> I repeat, it only works with kerberos and whilst it may 'reflect real
> enterprise life' where you come from, it is a stupid idea where I come
> from.

I would have wrote that I'll tell them but that's the first thing I did,
along explaining how to switch to winbindd usage to get AD users on system
side.

> >     I cannot suggest that this method is used in production, there is too
> >     much chance for error.
> >

> > These kinds of configurations are normally not new solutions (or
> > there's something with the solution's designer :p), they are
> > "historical" configurations. A short term to say
> > too-expensive-to-change-right-now. Then we have to deal with.
> No, they are not new solutions, that is one of the problems, a lot of
> 'historical' ways of using Samba were not very clever and your
> 'too-expensive-to-change-right-now' is likely to become
> 'ultra-too-expensive-to-change-right-now' when you do come to change it.
> the first cost is usually the least cost.

Let's say it's not my place to decide if my clients have to change their
ways or not. I give advices, they chose to follow my recommendations or
not. And I advised them to switch their system users from flat files to
AD/Winbindd weeks ago, at the very beginning of that mission.

> >     I personally will not support using this method, Samba in the past
> >     supported some bad ways of working, there is no need to continue
> >     supporting bad ideas.
> >

> > No support was asked I believe. Or my English is worse than expected.
> No, you didn't ask for support, but i just wanted to get it out there
> that I will not support this abortion. You can do what you like with
> Samba, just do not push your bad ideas here.
>
> Please, I never "pushed" that Samba usage as the right way to use Samba
and AD. Never ever. In fact my initial questions have nothing to do with
that discussion.
At one moment I explained how my client's solution is designed and you
wrote that way does not work when it is working. That's all. Sorry to have
corrected you, sorry that made so much useless noise.