[Samba] samba4 kerberized nfs4 with sssd ad client

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 24 15:33:29 UTC 2020

On 24/07/2020 16:08, Robert Marcano via samba wrote:
> On 7/24/20 10:53 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> Our client systems need to continue to run CentOS because a variety
>>> of software that we use requires CentOS/RHEL.  Some of the software
>>> is very version specific.  I can't even upgrade to CentOS 8 until
>>> certain software is compatible with 8. Running a separate Linux
>>> distribution on the servers and the clients is possible, of course,
>>> but in a small team, just a headache to handle multiple OS paths.
>>> If we were a bigger team, this is definately something I would
>>> consider though.
>>>
>>> Jason.
>>>

>> Rule one: Never run software that is tied to a specific OS, you get
>> trapped, as you have found. If some entity tries selling you software
>> that requires a specific OS (and worse a specific version), tell them
>> to **** off.
>>
>> Just what are these 'softwares' that require Centos ?
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> I usually avoid threads where someone mentions SSSD because they
> always end the same way. The original poster is asking a question
> about using a Samba DC server using winbind at the server and his
> problems our doubts about the using the Kerberos part of Samba AD, and
> the discussion goes down to SSSD no no no, change OS, etc. A user
> asking with problems with a Mac or Windows client doesn't get that
> kind of responses, clients more closed that anything Red Hat produces.
>
> The initial response that asking on the SSSD mailing list would be a
> better idea was probably the good end of it if no other person was
> able to help.
>
> I personally can't help, because I use FreeIPA for my Linux clients
> and Samba AD for Windows clients, establishing a trust between
> domains. I have done long ago the other way of the original poster
> problem, NFS Kerberized NFS shares from a domain using MIT Kerberos
> (via FreeIPA), shares to Windows clients with Samba, but Samba
> standalone shares, doing LDPA integration with FreeIPA 389 server, but
> I would not recommend that now that the AD implementation of Samba is
> robust enough.
>
> Note: Now that CentOS 8 where mentioned early on the list, CentOS 8
> clients joined to a Samba domain using SSSD works pretty well. Some
> tips at https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2020-March/228875.html

Robert, I have said numerous times that I personally have nothing
against sssd, just that I do not see the point in using it with Samba.
This forum cannot support sssd because we do not produce it and know
little about it, but it has its own mailing list, sssd-users, that is
undoubtedly the correct place to ask questions about sssd.

Also, you can use sssd on centos clients to access Samba shares on
another Unix domain member (this much I do know), but you cannot use
sssd on a Samba fileserver.

Rowland