[Samba] samba4 kerberized nfs4 with sssd ad client

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Fri Jul 24 15:44:43 UTC 2020

On 7/24/20 11:33 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 24/07/2020 16:08, Robert Marcano via samba wrote:

>>> Rule one: Never run software that is tied to a specific OS, you get
>>> trapped, as you have found. If some entity tries selling you software
>>> that requires a specific OS (and worse a specific version), tell them
>>> to **** off.
>>>
>>> Just what are these 'softwares' that require Centos ?
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> I usually avoid threads where someone mentions SSSD because they
>> always end the same way. The original poster is asking a question
>> about using a Samba DC server using winbind at the server and his
>> problems our doubts about the using the Kerberos part of Samba AD, and
>> the discussion goes down to SSSD no no no, change OS, etc. A user
>> asking with problems with a Mac or Windows client doesn't get that
>> kind of responses, clients more closed that anything Red Hat produces.
>>
>> The initial response that asking on the SSSD mailing list would be a
>> better idea was probably the good end of it if no other person was
>> able to help.
>>
>> I personally can't help, because I use FreeIPA for my Linux clients
>> and Samba AD for Windows clients, establishing a trust between
>> domains. I have done long ago the other way of the original poster
>> problem, NFS Kerberized NFS shares from a domain using MIT Kerberos
>> (via FreeIPA), shares to Windows clients with Samba, but Samba
>> standalone shares, doing LDPA integration with FreeIPA 389 server, but
>> I would not recommend that now that the AD implementation of Samba is
>> robust enough.
>>
>> Note: Now that CentOS 8 where mentioned early on the list, CentOS 8
>> clients joined to a Samba domain using SSSD works pretty well. Some
>> tips at https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2020-March/228875.html
>>

> Robert, I have said numerous times that I personally have nothing
> against sssd, just that I do not see the point in using it with Samba.
> This forum cannot support sssd because we do not produce it and know
> little about it, but it has its own mailing list, sssd-users, that is
> undoubtedly the correct place to ask questions about sssd.
>
> Also, you can use sssd on centos clients to access Samba shares on
> another Unix domain member (this much I do know), but you cannot use
> sssd on a Samba fileserver.
>
> Rowland

And the original mail said SSSD on client not on server, even the
Subjects says it, It is just like someona asking problems using Samba Ad
Kerberos problems from a Mac, the client on a Mac isn't even based on
Samba. Web SSSDers should probably create a mailing list named "SSSD on
Samba AD clients" :-P. If anyone comes an ask about winbind on clients,
will get a lecture, again :-P