[Samba] Problem with network browsing

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 13 07:02:50 UTC 2020

On 13/07/2020 04:29, Michael Jones via samba wrote:
> I'm trying to diagnose why my windows 10 clients can't do network browsing.
> The network neighborhood doesn't show any of my machines running samba.
>
> Any advice?

Sorry, but it looks like you really do not understand AD ;-)

Netbios was a way for NT4-style domain computers to find each other,and
you require SMBv1 for it to work. Because you have set SMBv3 as the
minimum level on the DC, this is what will be used in all connections to
the DC, you have set the 'minimums' to the maximum settings.

AD uses dns instead of netbios and as your DC has a built in dns server,
you should use dns instead of attempting to use netbios.

I would remove these lines from the DC:

server min protocol        = SMB3 # SMB2_02
client min protocol        = SMB3 # SMB2_02

#Security settings
invalid users                = nobody root
follow symlinks        = false

# The autorid map type auto-selects which UID to map to which microsoft UID.
# Not entirely certain if UIDs will map properly across linux machines.
Probably worth looking into.
# Don't shrink the UID range, apparently some users end up with UIDs
towards the max size. Unclear why.
idmap config * : backend = autorid
idmap config * : range = 1000000-19999999

username map                = /etc/samba/user.map
create mask                = 0666
directory mask                = 0777

allow trusted domains        = no

winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum users        = yes
winbind enum groups        = yes
winbind nested groups        = yes

They either have no place on a DC, or actually stop your DC from working
correctly.

I would remove these lines from mimir and Userfiles:

#Security settings
invalid users                = nobody root
# Waiting on Root Explorer to fix bug
server min protocol        = SMB2
client min protocol        = SMB2

winbind enum users        = yes
winbind enum groups        = yes
winbind nested groups        = yes

#Auto detection settings
domain master                = yes
local master                = yes
preferred master        = yes
os level                = 255

Windows now uses Network Discovery instead of Network Browsing, if you
run this on all your Samba machines:

https://github.com/christgau/wsdd

Your Samba machines will appear in Explorer on Windows, your Linux
machines should use Avahi to get something similar.

Rowland