[Samba] Problem with network browsing

Michael Jones samba at jonesmz.com
Mon Jul 13 12:54:08 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 2:03 AM Rowland penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 13/07/2020 04:29, Michael Jones via samba wrote:
> > I'm trying to diagnose why my windows 10 clients can't do network
> browsing.
> > The network neighborhood doesn't show any of my machines running samba.
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> Sorry, but it looks like you really do not understand AD ;-)

Of course I don't. Barely anyone does.

However, the samba logs could have a note in nmbd saying "We detect that
you have ADC security enabled, and min protocol of SMB2 / SMB3, as a
result, network neighborhood most likely will not work due to.......".

> Netbios was a way for NT4-style domain computers to find each other,and
> you require SMBv1 for it to work. Because you have set SMBv3 as the
> minimum level on the DC, this is what will be used in all connections to
> the DC, you have set the 'minimums' to the maximum settings.
>
> AD uses dns instead of netbios and as your DC has a built in dns server,
> you should use dns instead of attempting to use netbios.

Am I to understand that the servers should still be showing up in the
network list, because of the AD DC's DNS ?

> I would remove these lines from the DC:
>
> server min protocol        = SMB3 # SMB2_02
> client min protocol        = SMB3 # SMB2_02

Could you elaborate?

> #Security settings
> invalid users                = nobody root
> follow symlinks        = false
>
> # The autorid map type auto-selects which UID to map to which microsoft
> UID.
> # Not entirely certain if UIDs will map properly across linux machines.
> Probably worth looking into.
> # Don't shrink the UID range, apparently some users end up with UIDs
> towards the max size. Unclear why.
> idmap config * : backend = autorid
> idmap config * : range = 1000000-19999999

This was necessary to get things working on my setup a few years ago,
around Samba 4.4. Has something changed that makes this unneeded?

> They either have no place on a DC, or actually stop your DC from working
> correctly.

Then why is Samba not warning about these being problematic ?

> Windows now uses Network Discovery instead of Network Browsing, if you
> run this on all your Samba machines:
>
> https://github.com/christgau/wsdd
>
> Your Samba machines will appear in Explorer on Windows, your Linux
> machines should use Avahi to get something similar.
>
> Rowland

 Thank you for the advise.