[Samba] Installing Samba 4 on Redhat 6.

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 09:26:44 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:01 AM Mark London via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi - Samba 3 had been running for years on a Redhat 6 box that I can't
> upgrade.    Suddenly it stopped allowing windows client to access it.
> After trying many things,  I then tried a "net ads leave" and then tried
> a "net ads join."   The join fails with this error message:

I assume you mean RHEL 6, not Red Hat 6?

>           Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain
> 'PSFC.MIT.EDU' over rpc: Unexpected information received
>
> I can duplicate the problem on a clean install of Samba 3 on another
> Redhat 6 computer.    I can't find anyone with a similar error message
> on the web.   I can post the debug output from the join command, if
> anyone thinks they can help debug the problem.

You need to get off that OS, it's officially obsolete by November. You
also need to post what your AD controller is, and your smb.conf, on
your RHEL 6 box, and exact Samba versions to expect detaild help.

> But since Samba 3 is no longer supported, I thought it best to try and
> install Samba 4.   The problem is that Yum complains that Samba 3
> conflicts with it.  See below.   And when I try to erase samba 3, it
> says it has to remove kdebase and kdm and related packages. Does anyone
> know a work around?   Can I forcibly remove the old Samba 3 without
> removing the dependencies?  Thanks. - Mark

??? What are you trying to install? RPMs from somewhere? Which RPMs?

I used to publish updated RPMS for CenTOS 6, I gave up with the recent
Samba releases, and only publish RPM building tools for CentOS 7 or
later.

> Error: samba4-common conflicts with samba-common-3.6.23-53.el6_10.x86_64
> Error: samba4 conflicts with samba-3.6.23-53.el6_10.x86_64

Well, yes, they overlap It's built-in.to the library dependencies. of
other components. Upgrade of a major set of system libraries is likely
to cause compatibility issues.
.samba.org/mailman/options/samba