[Samba] AD Users on Linux Laptop

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 9 09:27:13 UTC 2020

On 09/07/2020 09:50, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Hai Rowland,
>
> Maybe i didnt understand your reply that well, but why would you change it.
>
> All (linux) users have  minimum_uid=1000 and start at 1000.
> All (windows) users (samba) are above  minimum_uid=1000
>
> So in my optinion, you should not be needed to change this.
> Unless your users start below 1000.
>
> Also cat /etc/adduser.conf shows ( For Debian/Buster )
>
> # FIRST_[GU]ID to LAST_[GU]ID inclusive is the range of UIDs of dynamically
> # allocated user accounts/groups.
> FIRST_UID=1000
> LAST_UID=29999
>
> FIRST_GID=1000
> LAST_GID=29999
>
> If you can give me an example when its not working, ill have look at it..

OK, if you use 1000 and try to change the password for a local Unix user
(not to be confused with a domain Unix user), you get this:

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ sudo passwd adminuser
Current Kerberos password:

But if you use the low range number instead of '1000', you get:

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ sudo passwd adminuser
Enter new password:

Rowland